This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1228292



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wigan

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Haigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 402637

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HAIGH SCHOOL LANE SD 50 NE (south side) 5/65 Haigh Hall 19.11.51 G.V. II* House. 1827-40. For and possibly by 24th Earl of Crawford and Balcarres. Stone. 3 storeys, square plan round central light well. South east, entrance facade of 11 bays; 3rd, 4th and 8th, 9th bays project. Top cornice and parapet. Most windows are sashed with glazing bars, but ground floor windows and central 1st floor window have casements of a type found on the Haigh Hall estate, opening from the inside only and with small upper sash. Central 3 bays have hexastyle Tuscan porch, paired columns to each end. Entrance has eared architrave, panelled pilasters, frieze and consoled cornice; half-glazed door. Left return garden front of 7 bays, 1st, 5th and 7th are canted full-height bays. Windows have casements as ground floor of entrance front. Ornamental cast iron balcony to 1st floor. Rear of 10 bays, the 3rd, 4th and 7th, 8th bays projecting; ground floor windows have casements, the rest are sashed with glazing bars. Right return of 8 bays, end full-height canted bays and 2 round-headed service entrances have fanlights with glazing bars. Penthouse to roof. Several stacks. Interior: rich decoration to rooms. Entrance hall has coffered ceiling and anthemion frieze; 2 fireplaces with gothic-style grates; wind direction indicator. Stair hall has sail vault with central light; lunettes have friezes of Vitruvian scroll, urns and griffins, vault has fluting, the angles with masks. Ground floor room has early C18 end timber blind arcading on composite pilasters, rich spandrels and entablature, room has rich entablature, screen of 2 arches at one end (probably originally partition wall) with modillion cornice beyond, and panels to ceiling, 1st floor has room approached by enriched apse, with rich coffered ceiling, chandeliers and fireplaces. Library behind has ceiling decoration with symbols another room has apse and niches. Passage leads to re-used early C18 open well stair, open string 3 square column-on-vase balusters to the tread and saucer dome with etched glass to light.

Listing NGR: SD5975208515

Selected Sources

Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 18 Greater Manchester,

National Grid Reference: SD 59752 08515


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228292 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 05:04:24.