This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1226931



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hackney

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Apr-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 424403

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LOWER CLAPTON ROAD E5 1. 5013 (South-East Side) --------------------- No 162 (Pond House) TQ 3485 19/341 24.4.51. II* GV

2. Circa 1800 villa of large proportions. 2 storeys, attic and basement, 3 windows; the centre bay slightly set back. Stucco with incised lines, 1st floor cill string, cornice and blocking course. Fairly low pitched slated roof with 3 flat dormers. Banded basement forms voussoirs to low lunettes. Sash windows with glazing bars and ornamental cast iron guards, those on ground floor tripartite in segmental arched recesses with large central paterae. Rebuilt steps to central projecting semicircular porch with fluted Roman Doric columns, entablature with bucranium frieze and blocking course. Pretty wrought iron railing. Central double door with shaped panels in moulded architrave has small flanking windows. At either side a concave quadrant wall holds doorway in entablature surround with bucranium frieze. Inside a graceful curved wrought iron staircase.

Nos 158 to 162 (even) form a group with the stable and wall to No 162, and Bishop Wood's Almhouses.

Listing NGR: TQ3498485949

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 34984 85949


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226931 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Oct-2015 at 09:14:01.