This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE MASTERS HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MASTERS HOUSE

List entry Number: 1225072

Location

THE MASTERS HOUSE, COLLEGE STREET, MAIDSTONE, ME15 6YQ

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 173442

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/02/2017

TQ 7655 SW 7/71A

COLLEGE ROAD The Masters House

(Formerly listed as The College, MILL STREET) 30.7.51

GV II* This was originally the Master's House to the College. C14 with alterations in C18 and the insertion of modern windows since. Built of Kentish ragstone. Two storeys and attics. Tiled roof with three hipped dormers having casements with small square leaded panes. Moulded wooden eaves cornice and at the south end of the front a gable. On the ground floor there are two windows containing pairs of ogee-headed lights, two narrower single trefoil-headed lancets and one square-headed window containing two obtusely-pointed lights. Modern windows on the first floor.

The interior contains a collar-braced roof, a C16 oak staircase, a mouldedC16 ceiling and Aumbry cupboard. Some stone fireplaces with spandrels and an early C18 fireplace with ovolo moulding. Plaque to William Grocyn (1446-1519) Master of All Saints College and Renaissance scholar.

Gateway and Wall to Palace Gardens, Wall to north-west of Archbishop's Palace, The Archbishop's Palace, Wall to east of Archbishop's Palace, The Dungeons at the Archbishop's Palace, The Gate House at the Archbishop's Palace, The Len Bridge, The Tithe Barn, Parish Church of All Saints, Wall to north and west of All Saints Church, The College Gateway, The College Tower, The Masters House, The Master's Tower, Cutbush Almshouses and the Ruined Gateway form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ7600955346

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 76009 55346

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225072 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-May-2017 at 09:55:22.

End of official listing