This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1224413



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Isle of Wight

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ventnor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 420479

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/02/2016

SZ 5778 1/15 5271


(Formerly listed as East Dene (Workers Travel Association Guest House))



Built circa 1825-30 for Mr Surman to the designs of a Mr Beazley. One of the early Undercliff Tudor-Gothic houses. In 1837 it was taken on a lease by Admiral Charles Henry Swinburne, the father of Algernon Swinburne who had been born earlier that year. East Dene was Swinburne's childhood house, where some of his earliest poetry was written. He is buried with other members of his family in St Boniface's Churchyard. The house is of 2 storeys rough dressed stone with steep pitch slate roof. Main front to south; 6 windows, mullioned casements, 2 gables with kneelers, one surmounted by round chimney pot, the other by a finial. Projecting window bays below gables, that to east with buttresses and canted bay on ground floor. 3 oriel windows on 1st floor. The west or entrance front is of 5 windows. 3 gables with ornamental bargeboards, projecting window bays below. The section between the centre and the northernmost projection is jettied with corbel brackets of stone. 2 canted bay windows ground floor. Parapeted porch. The interior is in a quite successful imitation Tudor style. There is a glazed link walk-way down to the former stable block, now the Annexe.

Listing NGR: SZ5775578136

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 57755 78136


© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1224413 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2016 at 09:33:31.

End of official listing