This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1222748

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Isle of Wight

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Cowes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Aug-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 418166

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SZ 4996 SW COWES CHURCH ROAD West Cowes

2/35 Church of St Mary

17.8.51 II*

Anglican church. Original church of1657 enlarged at the east end in 1811 by Joseph Richards; west tower by John Nash added in 1815-16; except for the tower the whole church was rebuilt in 1867 by Arthur Cates. The unusual Graeco-Egyptian style tapering tower built of ashlar having parapet with 4 plain Acroteria and bell-stage having oblong openings on each side set with 2 short Greek Doric columns. The tower was given by George Ward of Northwood House adjoining as the family mausoleum and the interior contains memorial tables to the Ward family. The remainder of Nash's church was demolished and rebuilt by Arthur Cates. Four bay nave built of stone rubble with slate roof Clerestory. Apsidal-ended chancel. South gabled porch witll sundial of 1762. The interior has polychromatic brickwork and has wooden north and south galleries, and chancel screen. The churchyard contains C18 headstones with cherub, urn or scull, crossbones and hourglass motifs, early C19 headstones with sunray motifs, urn monuments and early C19 chest tombs.



Listing NGR: SZ4929696500

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 49331 96170

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1222748 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2016 at 04:40:50.

End of official listing