This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

NORTH AND EAST WALLS TO CHURCHYARD OF ST NICHOLAS AND GATE PIERS ON WEST WALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTH AND EAST WALLS TO CHURCHYARD OF ST NICHOLAS AND GATE PIERS ON WEST WALL

List entry Number: 1219793

Location

NORTH AND EAST WALLS TO CHURCHYARD OF ST NICHOLAS AND GATE PIERS ON WEST WALL, DEPTFORD GREEN SE8

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200322

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

4412 DEPTFORD GREEN SE8

TQ 3777 25/G4A north and east walls to TQ 3777 25/G4B churchyard of St Nicholas' Church and gatepiers on west wall

II*

Churchyard walls and gatepiers. 1697, with later repairs. Red brick, Flemish bond, with stone coping. Gate piers on west side are flanked by Portland stone scrolls and surmounted by Portland stone copings with finials of skulls with laurel wreaths over crossbones. Blocked gateway flanked by piers on east side. Gateway on north side, blocked with piers on east side. Gateway on north side, blocked, with piers of gauged and cut brick with stone copings. Memorial tablets set into east wall include C20 tablet to Christopher Marlowe, buried here in 1593. The eastern gate piers are among the finest of any churchyard.





Listing NGR: TQ3740377773

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 37400 77772

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1219793 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2016 at 05:10:55.

End of official listing