This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1218914



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386907

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



NY4155 WARWICK ROAD 671-1/11/307 (North side) 01/06/49 Church of St Aidan


Church of England church. 1899 (dated on foundation stone), completed 1902, by CJ Ferguson. Quarry-faced red sandstone on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses, string course, eaves cornice and solid parapets on aisles. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables and cross finial. PLAN: 6-bay nave/chancel under uninterrupted roof; west and south porches, aisles, west open bellcote, north-east vestry and south morning chapel. EXTERIOR: west lean-to porch has central west-gable; north and south elliptical-arched doorways; plate tracery west window above. Aisles have 3-light traceried windows. Clerestory 3-light flat-arched windows. South chapel has low flat porch with pointed-arched door and 3-light flat-arched window; right canted turret; higher-level chapel windows which are 2-lights with cusped heads. 5-light plate tracery east window. North vestry projects at an angle from the north-east corner and joins with the Church Hall (qv). Beneath the east window is the datestone and set on a girder on the north wall of the chancel is a bronze bell, formerly at Highmoor House, Wigton, inscribed with bell founders name. INTERIOR: early C20 fixtures and fittings; open timber roof. Pointed arches of red sandstone on alternating round and octagonal piers, one pier inscribed with subscribers names and amounts subscribed towards building cost. Further inscription on west wall THE TWO BELLS THE GIFT OF MRS BLANSHARD OF CAMERTON HALL WERE FIRST RUNG ON 1 JANUARY 1900 TO USHER IN THE NEW CENTURY. C20 stained glass in 2 aisles and in east window. Octagonal font with carved tracery panels. Original designs for church are in Cumbria County Record Office, Ca/E4/13166, approved 12 May 1899. A photograph in the Cumberland News (1982) shows the laying of the foundation stone on 8 September 1899. (Cumberland News: 8 March 1982).

Listing NGR: NY4106255935

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Cumberland News' in 8 March, (1982)

National Grid Reference: NY 41062 55935


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1218914 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 09:27:45.