This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1210461



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Hadham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Jun-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 395075

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/10/2012

TL 4321 9/9 22.2.67

LITTLE HADHAM FORD HILL, Hadham Ford (south side) The Old Brick House and No 2 Ford Hill

(Formerly listed as Hollands Close and No 2 Ford Hill)


House, now 2 houses, C16 and C17 (almost certainly the buildings mentioned in deeds in HRO as 'Le Holles' in 1507 and as 'Lee Holles and all that new created messuage or tenement adjoining' in 1666, the latter known by name of the brick house in 1725). A T-plan group facing N, with the upright of the T (No 2 Ford Hill), a long, C16, one and a half storeys timber frame brick clad range with steep old red tile gabled roof, 3 small gabled dormers on the wall plate and a large central chimney one-third of the way from the W end. Tall, 2 storeys and attic, C17 brick range (Hollands Close) with gabled old red tile roof at right angles across E end. Large chimney with 2 tall octagonal shafts with moulded bases and caps (rear cap missing in photo in VCH of 1914) at junction of wings, with gabled porch to lobby entry by stack. Plaster and tile modern single storey lean-to on N side and small 2 storeys weatherboarded modern extension at W rear corner. Lower range of 3 units with former open hall in middle, clasped purlin roof, close studded N side wall replaced in C19 brick, and C17 red brick parlour added at W end with chamfered external plinth offset. Large central chimney and floor inserted in hall in mid C17. Axial and cross beams have deep ovolo mouldings. Parlour chimney probably added in C18/C19. Small 2- light C19 casement windows and plank doors. Tall E part in C17 red brickwork with plinth and projecting band between Ground and 1st storeys. Irregular English bonding. Front has 1 window to each storey. 3-light wooden casements replace oak mullioned windows noted by VCH in 1914 and drawn by Buckler c.1834 (HRO). Lack of arches over openings probably an original arrangement. 2 windows on E side above roof of lean-to. Small vent slot in apex of front gable partly obscured by a modern shield. Ground floor one large room with chamfered and stopped axial beam, wide brick fireplace with depressed 4-centred arch, winding stair in projection beside chimney, on S, plank doors, entrance from lobby on N side of stack, and small service room partitioned from rear part of room marked by chamfer stops on axial beam. Chamber over has smaller depressed 4-centred brick fireplace with hollowed spandrels to chamfered jambs in 2 orders. Square sunk panel over as at Lower Farm, Bury Green. Axial beam chamfered and stopped as over Ground floor. Separate stair to attic floor. Side purlin roof. Documented buildings, illustrating clearly three stages in the transition from open hall house to multi-storey house, and from timber frame construction to the early use of brick for houses. (RCHM (1911) 146: VCH (1914) 50: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL4354821597

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 50
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 43548 21597


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210461 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Oct-2015 at 07:05:53.