This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1209984



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Oldham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388875

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SD90NW BARRY STREET 780-1/1/14 (West side) Church of St James


Parish church. 1835. By Francis Goodwin; chancel added 1883 by John Lowe of Manchester. Ashlar faced with Welsh slate roof. West tower, nave with integral aisles, and shallow canted apse. Partially projecting west tower with wide western entrance in deep moulded archway. 2-light window over doorway. Gabletted clasping buttresses. Parapet over second stage with integral surround for clock (the clock itself now removed) and high pinnacles at angles. Flying buttresses to octagonal lantern of bell chamber. Vestries added north and south of tower. South doorway giving access to inner staircase lobby. Aisles of 6 bays divided by buttresses, each with 2-light Decorated traceried window with cast-iron tracery. Shallow canted apsidal chancel with 2-light windows. INTERIOR: nave arcade of 4 bays formerly 5, the eastern bay now forming part of the chancel. Western bay beneath gallery now separated by glazed screen. Chamfered piers carry moulded arches with foliate capitals. Galleries on 3 sides, carried across west by two rows of cast-iron columns. Plain ribbed panelled ceiling, the principal timbers carried from corbels. Chancel screen and rood loft, 1920 as war memorial. Central ogee arch surmounted by crucifix, canopy enriched with vine-scroll decoration. Flanking wall panels with inscriptions beneath statues of Saints Michael and George. Apsidal chancel with plain panelled ceiling. Blind traceried wall panelling includes sedilia and canopy over reredos. Stained glass: east window, undated unsigned memorial window, probably circa 1880-90 in the style of Kempe. Small panels in south chancel chapel representing Saints George and Joan of Arc, with architectural drawings as backcloth. Various windows in south and north aisles, 1920's, one signed Shrigley and Hunt, Lancaster. Various marble wall tablets, including an ornate memorial with high relief figures in traceried niches to the Rev. Robert Gooday, d.1878. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner, Nikolaus: South Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-).

Listing NGR: SD9377605459

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

National Grid Reference: SD 93776 05459


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209984 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Dec-2015 at 03:25:12.