This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1209132



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

District Type: District Authority

Parish: West Malling

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 392469

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ6857 SWAN STREET 1156-0/3/161 St Mary's Abbey: Convent building 25/08/59 (Formerly Listed as: SWAN STREET St Marry's Abbey)


Convent. C14 south side of abbey cloister with house erected by Isaac Honeywood by 1735 reusing stone from the ruined abbey and salvaging window surrounds on the site of an earlier timber-framed post-Reformation house shown in a print by Stukeley of 1724 and with early C19 alterations and C20 additions and alterations, when it reverted to a religious house. Built of stone rubble with tiled roof and 4 stone chimneystacks. 2 storeys and attics 7 windows. H-shaped. North front has ground floor C14 cloisters with 17 trefoliated-headed arches. End bays project having gable ends with wooden fretted bargeboards. Attic has lancet with leaded light. 1st floor has 6 double cinquefoil-headed lights but 2 single ones to the centre flanking a wheel window with carved spandrels. Ground floor now has a later C20 lean-to verandah in stone with pantiled roof not of special interest. The south front is of ashlar. It has 2 end projecting gables with bargeboards and the central section has 5 gabled dormers. Parapet and cornice to centre. Windows are mainly 2-light cinquefoil-headed windows but are 3-light to the lst floor of the end bays and central 1st floor window is a rose window. Ground floor end bays have C18 Geometrical traceried windows. Central arched doorcase of Gothick type with pilasters and circular fanlight. Interior has staircase hall with Gothick cornice, 2 C18 4-centred arched doorcases and wooden Gothick balustrading which is probably C19. Rest of interior not seen. C20 extension to east by Sir Charles Nicholson 1935 not of special interest. (Buildings of England: Newman J: West Kent and the Weald: 578).

Listing NGR: TQ6829257677

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980), 578

National Grid Reference: TQ 68271 57667


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 12:52:49.