This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1208423



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Crewkerne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 390387

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



ST4409 MARKET STREET 876-1/7/108 (West side) 12/06/50 No.2 National Westminster Bank


Bank. 1838. MATERIALS: Ham Hill stone ashlar with hipped slate roof and rendered stacks to sides. PLAN: double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: Late Georgian style. 3 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range, though a side entrance occupies the place of the far-left ground-floor window. Platbands between floors; rusticated quoins; banded rustication to the ground-floor, with voussoirs to 6/6-pane round-arched windows reaching the platband which bears the bank name. Steps up to the central door, the round arch of which echoes the window arches. Above this is a 6/6-pane sash set in a classical architrave with Ionic pilasters resting on a cill with consoles, and supporting a cornice and pediment: above this is a 3/6-pane sash. To outer bays, on the first-floor, are 6/6-pane tripartite sashes, with similar 3/6-pane ones above. A substantial cornice, below a parapet, supports a balustrade over the central bay, with a heraldic device bearing a lion rampant. Both doors have iron gates. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORY: notable as one of the first purpose-built banks in the country; built for the Stuckey Banking Company, and a fine example of its type. (Bragg's Directory: 1840-; Victoria County History: Somerset: Oxford: 1978-: P.9).

Listing NGR: ST4409209725

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 9
'Bragg's Directory' in Bragg's Directory, (1840)

National Grid Reference: ST 44090 09737


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 06:24:41.