This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1207013



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Minehead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 391269

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SS9646 WELLINGTON SQUARE 900-1/3/112 (South side) 28/10/76 Church of St Andrew


Church. 1877-1880, by GE Street. Red sandstone with freestone dressings and concrete tile roof. Aisled plan with chancel, north porch and vestry. Free Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: Diagonal offset buttresses to corners of the nave. The east gable end has 5-light window with reticulated tracery. The north side has a 2-light window to the left of a 3-storey projecting gabled vestry with a stack to the left and a bellcote with 2 trefoil-headed openings, corbelled out above the north aisle which has 3 Decorated-style 2-light windows with small clerestory lancet windows above. A projecting gabled porch to the right has a pointed arch with finial over planked doors with decorative strap hinges. The west end has a rose window to the apex over 2 tall 2-light Decorated-style windows flanking a central buttress. Similar south aisle. INTERIOR: the 3-bay nave has octagonal piers without capitals, the arches dying into them; the intrados is smooth, the back and front is corbelled out. Hammer-beam roof to the nave, curved braces to the chancel, and exposed rafters to the aisles. Polychromatic floor tiles, those to the chancel are elaborate. The fine 1889 medieval-style stained glass east window, dedicated to Henry Luttrell, is by Kempe. FITTINGS: the wrought-iron and brass lectern, in Art Nouveau style, is dated 1903; the communion rail has fine wrought-iron supports; Gothic stone pulpit and font; original pine pews with shaped ends. HISTORY: the church was erected and endowed at the cost of Charlotte Ann, wife of the Rev AH Fownes Luttrell (vicar 1832-99) to whom the east window of 1888 is a memorial. The tower, planned to stand at the south-west (ritual east) end was not built. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset: London: 1958-: 241).

Listing NGR: SS9678046148

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958), 241

National Grid Reference: SS 96780 46148


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207013 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 05:05:08.