This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1206238



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Liverpool

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213943

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



56/314 Royal Institution 28.6.52 and No. 26

G.V. II House, now the Royal Institution. c.1799 with C19 alterations. Red brick with stone dressings. Main 3-storey 5-bay centre block, central 3 bays break forward. 2-storey 3-bay flanking pavilions, central bay break forward. 1 bay connecting walls, stone basement, flat band over ground floor and 1st floor sill band to 3 central bays. Top cornices and blocking courses to the 3 blocks. Connecting walls have stone niches on sill bands, stone panels over, and top balustrading. All windows have cut brick flat arches and are sashed with glazing bars. Some blind windows to right pavilion. Central projecting Doric porch, the architrave of which bears the inscription "ROYAL INSTITUTION". Entrance to No. 26 has stucco architrave and complete fanlight. Plain iron area railings with 2 lamp standards. Rainwater head on left return of main block bears the date 1800 and lion mask. Interior with some C18 and early C19 decorations, mantelpieces etc. Small vaulted entrance hall with double mahogany doors and original semi-circular fanlight. The hall also has panels with the names of the original silver ticket holders of the Institution. Built as residence and office for R. Parr, it became the Royal Institution in 1817.

Listing NGR: SJ3508089813

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ3508089813


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206238 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 02:44:42.