This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1204042



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Medway

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Cliffe and Cliffe Woods

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 172839

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


CLIFFE-AT-HOO CP CHURCH STREET TQ 77 NW 14/9 West side 21.11.66 Church of St. Helen


Parish church, formerly collegiate. Circa 1200, remodelled in earlier C14, with chancel restored in 1853 by George Austin, tower and transepts in 1864 by J.P. St. Aubyn, and the nave and tower by Romaine-Walker and Tanner in 1884. Ragstone and flint, laid in knapped bands; plain tiled roofs. Cruciform church with west tower, nave with north and south aisles, porch with parvis room over, north and south transeptal chapels and chancel. C13 west tower with clasping buttresses, C15 uppermost stage, C19 battlements and staircase projection. 5-bay nave with north and south aisles and deep porch to south. 3-bay chancel with curvilinear tracery in all windows, renewed, all with mouchettes and Kentish cusping. East window rebuilt from fragments found in restoration of 1884. Interior: Nave arcades of 5 bays. Short circular piers with moulded capitals and bases and wide pointed arches with two slight chamfers. Nave piers painted with thick red zig-zags. Clerestorey lancets of C14. Full-shafted wall-arcading in transeptal chapels, two bays to east with two narrower bays to west. Trefoiled piscinas in both transeptal chapels. Chancel with vaulted sedilia and piscina integral with the fabric. Ogee arches with crockets, finials and pinnacles. Foliage in the spandrels, all renewed. Base of late C15 rood screen. Wall paintings in both transeptal chapels, those in the north of the martyrdom of St. Edmund. Fittings: Tower screen of c.1370 with lights in threes and intersecting mullions. Six medieval pews. Some C14 glass in tracery of 2 chancel windows on south side, much restored. C17 communion rail. Arcaded pulpit dated 1636. C15 font. Late C14 tomb recess on north side of sanctuary with cusped and subcusped arch.

Listing NGR: TQ7359476626

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 73594 76626


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204042 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 02:15:05.

End of official listing