This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1201582



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wirral

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 389214

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ3388NE HAMILTON SQUARE 789-1/14/78 (South East side) 29/07/50 Town Hall


Town Hall. 1883. By C.O.Ellison; restored 1901 by Henry Hartley. Golden ashlar over silver granite basement with Welsh slate roof. Basement storey with 2-storeyed 9-window range over. Central projecting portico of 5 bays carried on projecting basement with staircase at each side with pink marble rail and caps to balusters. Cast-iron lamp standards. Paired doors in centre of this basement, with curved balcony over, carried on heavy console brackets. This is flanked by windows with wrought iron screens, between pilasters. Rusticated basement of main block above has single window with transom each side, and reeded cornice over. Full height Corinthian pilasters frame the outer bays above, with modillion cornice continued round pediment which is carried on two tiers of Corinthian columns. Recessed in the portico, paired doors with rosette panels and low relief frieze in architrave. On the entablature over, high relief figures flank a coat of arms. Oculi over side lights each side of door with swags over and heavy moulding. Windows with transoms in architraves each side, and round-arched windows to second floor. Central tower over main hall rises in 3 stages with rusticated lower stage, pediments over round arched openings to second stage with massive volutes at angles. Blind balustraded plinth to recessed upper stage which carries clock. Sphinxes over this stage, the whole capped by copper dome with finial. Return elevation to Mortimer Street divided into unequal bays of 4, 2, 9 and 3-window ranges, stepped out from west to east. Doorway with "Rates" inscribed over it towards the centre, windows and detailing similar to that of main elevation. Elevation to Brandon Street dissimilar in arrangement, though similar in detail. Divided into unequal bays of 1, 3, 4, 5, and 1 window ranges, with doorway in right-hand bay. This bay is surmounted by a tower with pedimented base and spire concealing cast-iron chimney pipe. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-).

Listing NGR: SJ3264588963

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

National Grid Reference: SJ 32645 88963


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201582 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 09:48:50.