This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1200825



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Manchester

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Oct-1984

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388115

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ8598 EVERY STREET, Beswick And Clayton 698-1/17/533 (South East side) 15/10/84 Former Church of All Souls (Formerly Listed as: EVERY STREET, Ancoats (South East side) Church of All Souls)


Former church. 1839-40, by William Haley. Brown brick with some stone dressings, slate roof. Romanesque style. Rectangular plan on south-west/north-east axis. The 3-bay gabled east and west ends have square pilasters to the corners and flanking the projected centre bay, all with stone false machicolation and pyramidal roofs and those flanking the centre of the west front including tall open-arcaded belfry stages. The centre of the west front has a stone central doorway, with chevron and lobed nook-shafts on scalloped capitals, a band of elaborate triple-interlaced blind arcading, an 8-light wheel window, a stone band on a corbel table, and a louvred lancet roof ventilator in the gable apex; the outer bays have single tall lancet windows with side shafts and nailhead arches, brick hoodmoulds with run-out ends, and bands like the centre. The east end centre bay has stepped triple round-headed lancets, a stone band like that at the front, and an oculus in the gable apex with corbel table; and the outer bays have round-headed doorways with zig-zag central order. The 4-bay side walls have pilaster strips and simple corbel tables (like the ends), and 2 tall round-headed lancets to each bay. Interior (as reported 15.10.84): 5 bays, with quatrefoil cast-iron columns supporting a gallery fronted with interlaced blind arcading; organ loft at west end, over enclosed west bay. Later raising of choir to sanctuary with round-headed chancel arch outlined by roll-mouldings; stone reredos with 6-bay arcade, below stone-shafted lancets with lobed over-arches on scallop capitals; open-arcaded roof trusses; original box-pews and benches in gallery; late C19 stone pulpit. History: built for Dr Samuel Warren, who had been expelled from the Wesleyan Methodist Connection; assigned a district in 1842.

Listing NGR: SJ8578498202

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 85784 98202


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200825 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 09:21:04.