This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1197868



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388488

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SD1968 ISLAND ROAD, Barrow Island 708-1/13/82 (North side) Church of St John


Church, on site of earlier church. 1934-35. By Paget and Seeley of London. Ferroconcrete with concrete and green slate roofs. Cruciform plan with enlarged crossing and with lean-tos against the nave and transepts; arcaded loggia leads to west porch; chancel has round apse, south organ chamber with bell tower and south vestry. Byzantine style. Loggia: 6 round arches to west and 4 to east. Lean-to against nave lit by two 3-light mullioned windows with 12-pane iron casements in shallow round-arched recesses. Windows in same style flank a tall, round-arched transept window having later wooden casements with glazing bars. Projecting corners of the crossing have a small round-arched clerestorey window to each side. West end has 3 lancet windows. The slated lean-tos are steeply pitched; main roofs have shallow pitch and coped parapets. North side as south. Gabled vestry has door to east and mullioned windows as before; its pitched roof is set against the organ chamber having small round-arched windows and parapet from which rises the square bell tower with paired round-arched openings, parapet and pyramidal roof with cross. Tower is linked to south transept by an arch. Chancel windows as those to the transepts; slated periphery to concrete roof. INTERIOR: crossing forms main part of nave, round arches spring from floor level on each side; segmental arches to the chancel and the organ chamber. Concrete ceiling beams. Fittings: red sandstone font. Other fitments brought from earlier church: eagle lectern; wooden pulpit; choir stalls with carvings designed by Clifford Green and executed by FJ Lord 1922 (both of Barrow). C19 stained glass to west windows: 3 panels depict St John, St Mary and Dorcas. The old church consecrated 1879. Foundation stone of this church laid 15.12.1934; consecration 28.9.1935.

Listing NGR: SD1978568237

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 19785 68237


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197868 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 02:13:37.