This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

LIFEBOAT MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH EAST OF ST ANNES PIER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LIFEBOAT MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH EAST OF ST ANNES PIER

List entry Number: 1196340

Location

LIFEBOAT MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH EAST OF ST ANNES PIER, SOUTH PROMENADE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Fylde

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Saint Anne's on the Sea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Feb-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 385313

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LYTHAM ST ANNES

SD32NW SOUTH PROMENADE, St Annes 621-1/2/110 (South West side) Lifeboat monument approx. 100m SE of St Annes Pier

GV II

Monument to crew of St Anne's lifeboat. c.1890, by W.B.Rhind of Edinburgh. Commemorates 13 crew of lifeboat, drowned 1886. Sandstone. Ashlar plinth approx. 2 metres square and 2 metres high, the base tapered; tall rock pedestal approx. 3 metres high surmounted by over-life-size statue of lifeboatman. A lettered panel on the south side of the pedestal records that the monument was erected by public subscription, listing the names of the crew who lost their lives attempting to rescue the crew of the German barque "Mexico" wrecked off Southport on 9 December 1886; and the east side of the base is inscribed "W.B.RHIND Sc EDINBUGH". (See also the "Laura Janet" monument in the churchyard of the church of St Cuthbert, Church Road, Lytham.)

Listing NGR: SD3192428563

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 31924 28563

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1196340 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Feb-2016 at 07:15:23.

End of official listing