This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1194859



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Belton and Manthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1979

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Nov-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382849

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BELTON & MANTHORPE SK93NW BELTON PARK, Belton 1315-0/4/109 (East side) 21/09/79 Bellmount Tower (Formerly Listed as: BELTON PARK, Belton Bellmount Tower at E end of Bellmount Avenue) II*

Viewing tower in the form of a tall arch. Mid C18, remodelled c1780, damaged by fire 1841, restored c1989. By Samuel Smith and the mason William Grey. Coursed squared stone, partly rendered, with hipped slate roof topped with a turned wooden balustrade. Wide coved eaves. 2 stages. Tall round headed archway with keystone and impost bands. Under the arch, a rebated round headed doorway on either side. The upper stage has a Venetian window with bracket keystones to the sidelights. Above it, 2 small round windows. At the rear, similar fenestration with a blank Venetian window. On either side, a stepped brick buttress, that to the right with stair lights in the angle. The building formerly had wings, which were removed c1780, on the advice of Philip Yorke. One of several estate buildings commissioned by Sir John Brownlow, Viscount Tyrconnel, of Belton House, between 1702 and 1754. This building appears within Belton Park which is on the Gardens Register at grade I. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 139; Marsden J & Barber A: Belton House: London: 1985-1987: 42-43).

Listing NGR: SK9489838814

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Marsden, J, Barber, A , Belton House, (1985-1987), 42-43
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 139
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 27 Lincolnshire,

National Grid Reference: SK 94898 38814


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194859 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2015 at 09:15:30.