This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1192245



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City and County of the City of London

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 199403

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


CORNHILL EC3 1. 5002 (South Side) Church of St Peter TQ 3281 SE 10/315 TQ 3381 SW 11/315 4 .1. 50.


2. 1677 to 87, by Wren, incorporating base of mediaeval tower. Aisled body with tower to south-west and vestry north of it. North porch. Exterior much obscured by adjoining buildings. Tower of red brick; rest apparently of stone, now painted. North elevation has 3 enriched, round arched Windows rising above 2 storeyed shop building. High panelled attic. Porch set forward with segmentally arched doorway, pair of Ionic columns and piers, and parapet above entablature. South elevation plainer with corniced doorway beneath western window. East elevation arcaded and pilastered above high base. Pedimented attic with round arched and 2 circular windows etc. Tower, with dressings of moulded brick, has simple, round arched windows to 2 lower storeys and arcaded and pilastered belfry stage. Stone cornice and copper roofed done with lantern and spire. Interior has pilastered piers with high bases supporting arcade and plaster barrel vault (possibly renewed), and cross vaults to aisles. West gallery with organ. Original fittings include low reredos and panelling at east end, elaborate chancel screen, fine carved pulpit and tester, carved marble font with cover, doorcases plain wainscot etc.

Listing NGR: TQ3300781106

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 33010 81108


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1192245 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Oct-2015 at 01:17:36.