This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRIDGE NUMBER 65

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRIDGE NUMBER 65

List entry Number: 1190608

Location

BRIDGE NUMBER 65, GRAND UNION CANAL, COSGROVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cosgrove

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 18-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235242

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP7941 16/7

COSGROVE, GRAND UNION CANAL Bridge No.65

(Formerly listed as Canal Bridge (Solmon's Bridge))

01/12/51

II*

Canal bridge. c.1800. Dressed limestone. Gothick style. Single-span bridge with wide slightly pointed arch and curved feet. Arch has blank cusped panels and keyblock. Semi-octagonal buttresses either side of arch have quatrefoil frieze to base and ogee half-cupolas and are flanked by ogee-headed niches. Panelled parapets with circular piers either end. In 1800 the two halves of the Grand Junction Canal met here. Construction began at Brentford in Middlesex and Braunston, Northamptonshire. It is said that a certain Colonel Solmons, 'Lord of the Manor', agreed to the cutting of the canal on condition that he was allowed to erect the necessary bridge. However the Lord of the Manor at this time was George Biggin Esq., whose residence, Cosgrove Priory, is in sight of the bridge. The proximity may explain the bridge's unusually ornamental appearance. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1933, p159; Wolverton Historical Journal: 1970, pp34-40)

Listing NGR: SP7928942742

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973)
'Wolverton Historical Journal' in Wolverton Historical Journal, (1970), 34-40

National Grid Reference: SP 79289 42742

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1190608 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2016 at 12:50:34.

End of official listing