This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1189891


95-101, CHEYNE WALK, SW3

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kensington and Chelsea

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203685

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/12/2015

TQ 2677 SE 68/15

CHEYNE WALK SW3 Lindsey House, Nos. 95 to 101 (inclusive)

(Formerly listed as Nos 96 to 101 (inclusive) (Lindsey House))



Probably rebuilt as Lindsey House in 1674 but altered and divided into separate houses in 1775. Three storeys and dormers. Two windows each (No 98 - 3 windows). Stucco. Windows square-headed, almost flush frames. Glazing bars. Tiled mansard roof. Moulded wood eaves cornice. Bands at first and second floor. Rusticated quoins to Nos 95, 96, 98 and 100. No 98 has finely carved doorcase with split pediment, cast iron balconies on columns to first and second floor and balcony railing above cornice. No 100 - 3 window splay bay and covered entrance on forecourt resigned by George Devey in late C19. No 101, added c1752 by the Moravian architect Sigismund von Gersdorf, forms part of the group. No 96 has LCC tablet commemorating residence of J A M Whistler. No 98 to Mark and Isambard Brunel. (R.C.H.M. and Survey of London, Vol IV).

Listing NGR: TQ2684777495

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England' in Survey of London, ()
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

National Grid Reference: TQ 26847 77495


© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1189891 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2016 at 06:47:42.

End of official listing