This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1185731

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Borden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 176060

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 86 SE BORDEN THE STREET (north side)

5/30 Church of St. Peter 24.1.67 and St. Paul

GV I

Parish church. C12, C13 and C15. Flint. Western tower, nave and aisles, chancel and aisles, south porch and priests room to north west. Exterior: large 2 stage tower with string course to parapet. Romanesque west doorway with attached shafts, roll mould, beaded zig-zag surround and fish-scale pattern on drip mould. Three light C15 Perp. window over, C12 2 light in upper stage, and C15 2 light belfry opening. Lozenge-shaped clock face on south wall. One storey square stair turret to north west. South aisle with diagonal corner buttress, battlemented parapet, C15 Perp. windows and battlemented south porch with water-spouts. Battlemented octagonal vice separates aisle from south east chapel. Two offset buttresses and eastern diagonal buttress, with steeply pitched roof, with the top portion only of a restored C13 lancet window, 3 light C16 window and restored C14 "kentish" traceried window with mouchelles and flattened heads. The north east and south east chapels are on plinths, the chancel,not so, reveals C12 quoins. South east window c. 1300 cusped Y-tracery, the east window C19 reticuled style, the north east c. 1300 cusped Y-tracery. North aisle with 3 buttresses and 3 C14 curvilinear windows of 2 lights with mouchettes. Interior: large C12 tower arch scalloped, with attached shafts. 2 bay double-chamfered nave arcade, octagonal water - holding based piers. Roof of 3 crown posts and 1 wooden clerestory light. South east chapel with upper half of lancet reveal, 2 bay arcade to chancel. Heavily restored chancel with C19 2 bay arcade to north east chapel (now organ space). Chancel roof C19 cusped and panelled ceiling, south-east chapel C15 boarded segmental tunnel-vault, with coved bases concealing hammer-beams. Fittings: angle piscina in chancel, and cusped piscinae in south chapel and south aisle. Doorways in south aisle to external vice, for missing rood loft. C15 font, octagonal, with large riased letters on side: DTB, with wrought iron hood attached to pulley system on wall. Hexagonal C17 pulpit. Monuments: in south east chapel, wall monument to Robert Plot the elder d. 1671, showing St. Michael spearing the Devil, who lies under St. Michaels shield which bears an inscription. Supported by a shield below, with field of weapons of war, and crest of canons supporting a knight's helm; attributed Jaspar Latham. In north aisle: Dr. Robert Plot, d.1696, antiquarian, Oxford don, first secretary of Royal Society. Large oval tablet wreathed with flowers and palms with urn over, putti on edge of oval and coat of arms below. Also, wall tablet to Ralph Sherwood, d. 1705, and Mary Sherwood, d. 1708. White alabaster scrolled plaque with putti and urn over, on coved base. Coat of Arms in lozenge panel in north aisle - in memoriam Rebecca Plot. Brasses to William Fyge, d. c. 1450 and William Fordmell, d. 1521, layman and priest respectively. Wall painting on north wall of St. Christopher c. 1500. Royal Arms over south door, 1719. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983 p. 147 - 8).

Listing NGR: TQ8822562864

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 147-8

National Grid Reference: TQ 88238 62981

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185731 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 12:00:32.

End of official listing