This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1184902



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Leicester

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1975

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188745

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/10/2016

SK 5804 SW, 2/112

THE NEWARKE (North Side), Magazine Gateway

(Formerly listed as: Magazine Gateway Regimental Museum)

(Previously listed as: Newarke Gateway)



Mediaeval gateway to the area added to the Castle in 1331 by the Third Earl of Leicester. The building is circa 1410. Stone. Rectangular on plan. Three storeys. Bertizans at angles and domed octagonal stair turret. Restored parapet. Moulded four-centred arches to pedestrian and carriageways to east, only one wider arch on west, with tierceron-vault. Rectangular windows with moulded labels, mostly Victorian restoration, deeply recessed one two or three-light stone mullion windows with cusped head lights. The Drill Hall extension of 1894 in facsimile on south has been demolished. It is now isolated by recent road scheme. Used as a museum until 1996. A.M.

Listing NGR: SK5844604120

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 58446 04120


© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184902 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Oct-2016 at 02:13:03.

End of official listing