This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

CLEAVE'S ALMSHOUSES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLEAVE'S ALMSHOUSES

List entry Number: 1184584

Location

CLEAVE'S ALMSHOUSES, OLD LONDON ROAD, KINGSTON UPON THAMES, KT2 6NQ

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kingston upon Thames

District Type: London Borough

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203138

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Kingston upon Thames, historically in Surrey, was an important market town, port and river crossing from the early medieval period, while there is evidence of Saxon settlement and of activity dating from the prehistoric period and of Roman occupation. It is close to the important historic royal estates at Hampton Court, Bushy Park, Richmond and Richmond Park. The old core of the town, around All Saints Church (C14 and C15, on an earlier site) and Market Place, with its recognisably medieval street pattern, is ‘the best preserved of its type in outer London’ (Pevsner and Cherry, London: South, 1983 p. 307). Kingston thrived first as an agricultural and market town and on its historic industries of malting, brewing and tanning, salmon fishing and timber exporting, before expanding rapidly as a suburb after the arrival of the railway in the 1860s. In the later C19 it become a centre of local government, and in the early C20 became an important shopping and commercial centre. Its rich diversity of buildings and structures from all periods reflect the multi-facetted development of the town.

Details

(Formerly listed under LONDON ROAD)

Dated 1668. Long range of twelve 2-storey dwellings. Centre gable (partly rebuilt) with moulded brick verge and sundial, above slate descriptive tablet with carved stone surround and broken pedimented top. Tile roof, both ends hipped. 12 chimneys. 6 windows each side of centre gable. 3 oval windows over centre doorway with gauged brick surrounds. Door in two halves, 6 panels each, moulded and fielded, with two windows on each side. Surround to centre door has chamfered quoins and head. 12 lain doors to dwellings with hoods. Moulded brick eaves cornice and flat string at first floor level. Splayed brick plinth. Casement windows lancet lead lights.

Listing NGR: TQ1844469363

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/03/2016

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England, London 2: South, (1983), 307

National Grid Reference: TQ1844469363

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184584 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2016 at 12:44:07.

End of official listing