This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1180219



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fleckney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191257

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1/35 Church of St. Nicholas 7.12.66 GV II*

Church. Some of the fabric is C.12, and much is later medieval, but externally most is of 1869, by Kirk. Cobble with limestone dressings and Welsh slate roofs. Nave with Western bellcote, South aisle and chancel. West wall is C.13 with central buttress with quoins and small Y traceried window. Paired bellcote above. Tracery of south aisle which is entirely of 1869 is squarely cut in Early English style with paired lancets with quatrefoils. Coped gabled South porch with double chamfered arch on cylindrical shafts encloses a resited C.12 doorway: 2 rows of chevron decoration, incised and embossed, outside slim detached cylindrical shafts which support angular cushion capitals. The arch itself has a double layer of chevron decoration and a roll moulded order. Coped east gable to steep nave roof. Chancel appears to be of early C.14. Lancet windows with quatrefoils, and late Decorated east window: 3 lights of slightly compressed reticulated tracery with outer hoodmould. Coped east gable. Vestry to north, and newer vestry beyond which encloses a C.12 north doorway: A double chamfered round headed arch with hood mould springing from weathered corbel heads. Inside, the church is largely of 1869 in Early English style. Nave arcade of 3 bays with cylindrical shafts with round abaci and double chamfered arches with hood moulds. The double chamfered chancel arch springs from corbels. Steep nave roof has curved principals with long bracing. Chancel still has medieval double sedilia with simple chamfered 2 centred arches, and a piscina, with Victorian basin in medieval recess. Victorian wood reredos, and other fittings. Pictorial stained glass in east window of 1925. Victorian font with tapering basin carrying an inscription and supported on clustered filletted shafts.

Listing NGR: SP6474493436

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 64744 93436


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1180219 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2015 at 12:29:42.