This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

NO 1 AND ATTACHED FORMER CHAPEL TO RIGHT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NO 1 AND ATTACHED FORMER CHAPEL TO RIGHT

List entry Number: 1178130

Location

NO 1 AND ATTACHED FORMER CHAPEL TO RIGHT, BARFORD CLOSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Spaxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269397

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST23NW SPAXTON CP BARFORD CLOSE (North side) FOUR FORKS

2/135 No. 1; and attached former chapel to right

II

House and attached former chapel to right, now workshop. 1846 by William Cobbe, forming part of the Agapemone for Reverend H. J. Prince; community disbanded 1958. Random rubble, slate roofs, some coped verges, 2 tall brick stacks and an ashlar stack. L-shaped frontage. House to left in Tudoresque style; 2 storeys, 3 bays, to each side a crenellated canted 2 storey ashlar bay window of 1:3:1 lights on each floor. Between the bays a freestone panel with shield. Central door opening in a chamfered dressed stone surround with a stopped label, French windows, transomlight. Chapel at right angles to right of house; buttressed; lancets with casements, leaded lights; door opening to roadside in single storey porch with diagonal buttresses, terminating as pinnacles, gable with finial, moulded 4-centred arch door opening, paired studded doors, fanlight with stained glass. Further door opening in the angle between the house and chapel, embattled single storey porch with buttresses, 4- centred arch door opening in a moulded surround, paired half-glazed doors, transomlight. Stone lion in relief set over. The Agapemone was infamous in the late C19 because of the activities and claims of Rev. H. J. Prince, a self-styled messiah. (Mander C., The Reverend Prince and his Abode of Love, 1976).

Listing NGR: ST2327636941

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mander, C , The Reverend Prince and his Abode of Love, (1976)

National Grid Reference: ST 23276 36941

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1178130 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-May-2016 at 08:23:12.

End of official listing