This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OLD GUILDHALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD GUILDHALL

List entry Number: 1177807

Location

OLD GUILDHALL, 1 AND 3, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Telford and Wrekin

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Newport

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255362

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/09/2012

SJ 7418 NE 2/7 5362 28.4.52

NEWPORT HIGH STREET (West Side) Nos 1 and 3 (Old Guildhall)

II*

Possible Guildhall, later in domestic use, now a shop pair (July 1986). Circa 1400, extended to the north in the later C16, with gable added to the north end of the street front sometime in the C19. Exposed timber-framing with painted brick infilling; framing with close-studding and wind-braces. Plain tiled roof with end stack and ridge stack to right of centre on lateral ridge. C19 ornamental bargeboards on left crosswing gable. 2 storeys; irregular fenestration of 4 windows on first floor, the outer ones in small square gabled oriel-bays, the inner pair glazing bar sashes. Central C19 bay on ground floor, canted with glazing bars; shopfronts on ground floor of crosswings, both with central entrances. Doorway to right of central ground-floor bay. Bressumer over ground floor of central recess carved with guilloche and other decoration, and 'PW' and 'William 1615 Grecari' (probably not related to any building date). Interior: the crosswing to the left contains evidence that it was built as an open-hall, gable-end to the street. It originally consisted of four bays, the two end bays floored and the two central bays open to the roof. Central truss shows evidence of cusped arch-braces. Two rows of purlins to roof, one close to the apex of the roof, the purlins and principal rafters chamfered and stopped. Cusped and pierced windbraces between rows of purlins. This building is listed II* for its rarity as an example of a former open hall with cusped arch-braced and wind-braced roof, especially considering its easterly position.

Listing NGR: SJ7460518892

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 74605 18892

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177807 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-May-2017 at 11:13:20.

End of official listing