This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1177567



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Mells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267924

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


KILMERSDON CP ST75SW BABINGTON 6/141 Babington House 11.3.68 GV II*

Country House in landscaped grounds. Circa 1705 for Henry Mompesson; altered and extended, dated on rainwater head:- "l790", for Captain Charles Knatchbull, possibly by John Pinch, further C19 work. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, plinth, lintel band, rusticated alternating quoins, dentil cornice, plain parapet with a coping, hipped concrete tile roof, some flat-roofed dormers with sash windows to returns, ashlar stacks. Roughly rectangular on plan, with a central light-well, north front with bow. Symmetrical early Georgian front. Basement, 2 storeys and attic, 7 bays, 12-pane sash windows in moulded architraves, to ground floor with cornice drips. Central door opening with bolection moulded architrave, semi-circular stone shell hood on brackets with enrichment; three-quarter glazed door. Large 2-storey, 3 window bow to north front, 12-pane sash windows. Seven-bay south front, entrance projects with a Gothick door opening. Single storey service wing at rear. Interior with important features; hall with ceiling with ornamental plasterwork, stair-case with turned and twisted balusters, dado panelling, doors in bolection moulded surrounds; dining room with ornamental plasterwork, doorcases and chimneypiece; first floor drawing room also richly decorated; further features including chimneypieces, ornamental plasterwork, panelling and re-used medieval glass. It is believed that the building stands on C17 foundations. (Country Life, 16 April 1943).

Listing NGR: ST7087350907

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 16 April, (1943)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

National Grid Reference: ST 70873 50907


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177567 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2015 at 01:03:36.