This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1177204



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kirby Muxloe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188963

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


KIRBY MUXLOE MAIN STREET SK 50 SW 4/41 Church of St Bartholomew 7.10.57 GV II* Parish church. Early C13 with C14 and C15 alterations to tower. Very much restored 1849 and 1857-8, with further restorations to tower 1891. Vestry/ organ chamber added 1927. Granite and slate rubble with limestone dressings and some ashlar facing to tower. Swithland slate roofs. Nave, south tower, chancel, north vestry/organ chamber. C19 off-set buttresses and gable copings. Y-tracery windows in double hollow-chamfered surrounds with hoodmoulds, all renewed C19. Nave has 3-light west window with carved heads at stops and apex, 3 bays of 2- light windows to north, and 2 similar windows to south. South tower is of 2 stages with moulded string and eaves, pyramidal roof and weathercock. Short diagonal buttresses. Late C14-C15 bell-chamber with 2-light traceried openings and single cusped ogee lights below. South door, through tower, has moulded 2-centred arch with hoodmould. Small C20 boiler room in south west angle between tower and nave. Chancel has 2-light window to north, 2 more to south along with a transomed low-side window and a blocked door, and 3-light east window. Vestry is gabled to north and has matching windows and north door. Interior: C19 roofs, that to nave with scissor trusses on carved foliage corbels; double-chamfered chancel arch with inner order on semi-octagonal piers; small arched niche in south wall of nave; small arched piscina in chancel; 2 arches to vestry and organ chamber. Fittings are all C19-C20, and include a carved stone reredos with panels for texts; and early C20 glass. Wall tablet in chancel to Francis St John 1732, with broken pediment.

Listing NGR: SK5207204658

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 52072 04658


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177204 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Oct-2015 at 08:02:07.