This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1176684



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bishop's Stortford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160972

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 5253 STANSTED ROAD (East Side)

Church of All Saints TL 4921 SW:4/79


2. 1936 by S E Dykes Bower. Rough limestone with ashlar dressings. West front to road has tall, broad, central tower with steep, hipped, red tile roof. Three excessively tall lancets beneath 2 smaller ones and eaves cornice. Flanking single storey aisles have doors recessed in cinquefoil arches. Buttresses at angles and to aisle walls. Steps and walls to front. Interior. Tall nave of 4 bays with giant drum piers and pointed arches; coffered wagon roof. Aisless chancel has east rose window with flowing tracery and 2 south windows of paired plain lancets beneath a multifoil oculus. Four trefoiled sedilia. Aisles have paired lancets and steep coffered roofs. C19 open timber lych gate at south west corner of churchyard with cruciform shingle roof and traceried side panels. Part of original 1851 church, burnt 1935. The church dominates the east aspect of the town. (Pevsner 2nd Ed Rev (1977) 102).

Listing NGR: TL4937421401

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 102

National Grid Reference: TL 49374 21401


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176684 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2015 at 04:07:12.