This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1176454



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hormead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160291

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



12/70 Hare Street House 19.10.51


House. C16 or early C17 N wing of house with kitchen wing to rear (NE), incorporated into tall double-pile house of later C17 probably built for William Brand between 1673 and his death in 1676, brick front early-mid C18 for Houblon family or for William Benn Sheriff of Herts 1739, Lord Mayor of London 1747, died 1755, internal alteration 1904-14 for Robert Hugh Benson, restored 1962 for Cardinal Godfrey. Timber frame plastered with panelled pargetting, red brick front and a hipped old red tile roof with gabled NE rear wings. A large 2-storeys and attics double-pile plan house facing W set back behind a high wall. Fine C17 octagonal tall red brick chimneys with moulded caps and bases in 2 groups of 2 and 3 in N range. Symmetrical red brick W front 5 windows wide with plinth, floor band, moulded cornice and parapet concealing 3 hipped dormers. Flat gauged arches and sash windows with 6/6 panes. Pedimented doorcase with Roman Doric pilaster. Interior has 2 Tudor arched fireplaces in N wing on 1st floor, early C18 boxed sash window with thick ovolo moulded glazing bars on 1st floor at S end, with double hung shutters in a box below the sill, and a moulded dado, panelled staircase at rear with carving and wood sculptures by Gabriel Pippit, butt-purlin roofs generally but clasped purlin roofs in N range and attached to NE a former 2-bay kitchen with inserted floor but cambered tie-beam with slots for arched braces and a clasped purlin roof. Associated with R.H. Benson who lived and worked here from 1903/4 up to his death in 1914. (RCHM (1911)103 No. 8: VCH (1914)69: Pevsner (1977)156: Jackson (1983)17).

Listing NGR: TL3903729830

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 69
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 156
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 39037 29830


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176454 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2015 at 09:32:59.