This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1176006



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Walkern

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159702

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 2825 WALKERN Finches End HIGH STREET (west side)

8/3 Farmhouse at Rooks Nest Farm 20.10.52 (formerly listed as Rooks Nest Farmhouse)


House. Mid Cl7 front range; rear wing later, possibly 1701; brewhouse wing at NE C19. Red brick, in English-bond in front range. N side of rear wing timber framed and jettied with brick infill, coursed below but herring-bone pattern above line of former lean-to roof. Steep old red tile roofs. Originally a 2 storeys and attic, cruciform, lobby-entry, central chimney plan house (probably with earlier service wing to rear). Hall on S and parlour on N with a 2-storeys porch balancing the rear stair turret on opposite sides of the large central chimney. Rear wing a SW of 2 storeys has a brick inscribed 'RC 1701' in S wall. This has a large formerly external chimney in the middle of its N side, where the later 4-bay brewhouse projects to N. Symmetrical E front with massive central chimney with 4 diagonal square shafts, gabled orch with 3-light plastered brick mullioned window with brick label over wide square-headed chamfered doorway. 3-panel door with leaded fanlight. A 4-light mullioned and transomed leaded casement window on each side of porch on each floor. Chamfered brick plinth and brick corbels at ends of front eaves. 3-light mullioned timber windows to attic and 2 floors in S gable, recessed under segmental arches. Flush wooden casement windows to rear wing. Interior has chamfered cross-beams, scratch moulded panelling with upper lozenge-carved panels to stair enclosure, 4-centred fireplaces in S room and room over, and plastered fireplace with fluted C18 cast iron basket grate in chamber over N room. Clasped purlin roof with curved wind braces exposed in stair turret. Staircase has elabor- ately moulded square finials and splat balusters at landings. (RCHM (1911) 225: VCH (1912) 151: Pevsner (1977) 373: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2868725875

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 151
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 373
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 28687 25875


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176006 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 08:42:53.