This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

DOVECOTE AT MANOR FARM (30 METRES TO SOUTH OF HOUSE)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DOVECOTE AT MANOR FARM (30 METRES TO SOUTH OF HOUSE)

List entry Number: 1175945

Location

DOVECOTE AT MANOR FARM (30 METRES TO SOUTH OF HOUSE), HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Walkern

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159689

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 2826 WALKERN HIGH STREET (west side)

7/8 Dovecote at Manor Farm 4.2.59 (30m to S of house)

GV II*

Dovecote. Circa 1700. Red brick in Flemish-bond with dark headers and fine gauged red brick dressings. Steep octagonal roof with cupola and ovoid finial. A tall octagonal tower overlooking a pond with entrances at N (to granary below) and NW (to upper dovecote) with ornamentation mainly on E, SE and S faces. High plinth with semi-circular arched openings to ventilate below granary floor. Corresponding oval openings in deep platband now blocked. Segmental arches to plank doors at 2 levels. Interior has brick nest boxes and shelves all round upper chamber with heavy timber floor over granary. Purlin roof with a cross of large tie-beams. Octagonal oculus to cupola. (Pevsner (1977) 373).

Listing NGR: TL2895426500

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 373

National Grid Reference: TL 28954 26500

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1175945 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2016 at 07:06:34.

End of official listing