This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1175746



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Clothall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162238

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 23 SE CLOTHALL ASHANGER LANE (West side) Clothall 6/83 Church of 27.5.68 St. Mary GV II*

Parish church. C12 origin for nave. Mid C14 S chapel. Later C14 chancel and SW tower. Windows mostly C15. Flint rubble. Some red brick and cement render. Stone dressings. Slate roof to chapel. Pyramid plain tile roof to tower. The tower is 2 stages, the lower stage a porch with a deeply splayed hooded door. Deep stepped buttresses. Belfry with single hooded trefoiled lights. S chapel has a single and a 2-light C14 window on S and 3-light restored window on E. Chancel has 2 C15 restored windows on S wall and a blocked C14 door. E window is C15, 3-lights, no cusps. Late C19 vestry addition on N side. N nave wall with 1 restored and 1 original C15 window. C17 red brick buttresses. 2-light C15 W window. Interior: original C14 S door in wave-moulded surround. Aisle-less nave with C15 low-pitched crown post roof. Arch to S chapel with triple canted shafts. Later C14 hooded and cinquefoiled piscina. 2-bay C14 chapel roof. The chancel has a C14 restored arch and a mid-C14 trefoiled piscina. E window has good re-set C15 medallioned glass with painted birds in the diamond panes. C12 table-top font at W end of nave with C17 wooden font cover. Brasses in chancel: an early C16 priest;John Vynter (d.1404) and John Wright (d.1519), both Rectors of Clothall. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2709832025

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TL 27098 32025


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1175746 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Oct-2015 at 07:06:55.