This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1175656



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cothelstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270300

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/89 Church of St Thomas of Canterbury



Parish Church. Some C12 and C13 work, mainly C15, restored circa 1864. Red sandstone with limestone and Ham stone dressings, tiled roofs. Nave 2 bay South aisle, South porch, West tower, heated vestry North of chancel. 3-stage tower, Victorian addition of crenellated parapet between original finials below 3 square headed openings and string course, Decorated 2-light bell-openings, diagonal buttresses, stair turret with cornical stone spire in North-east corner. 2-light Perpendicular windows in South front, 3-light at East end and North-west end of nave, 4-light to North-east. Porch with moulded pointed arch, piscina inside, pointed arch doorway into nave. Interior: rendered. Norman pillar in South aisle with Perpendicular arcades, Western respond a moulded corbel circa 1200. Good carved bench ends C16. Very fine Perpendicular octagonal font with traces of paint and early C17 carved wooden pulpit with contemporary wooden 3 bay arcade forming lecturn. Painted and gilded stone tablets in chancel, on right to John Stawell died 1661 with split pediment, putti and apron, simpler version to left John Stawell died 1603. In South chapel two fine tombs; Sir Mathew de Stawell, died 1379, and his wife Elizabeth, the latter has 2 squirrels at her feet and an angel at her head, York stone with traces of colour; Sir John Stawell, died 1603, and his wife, in alabaster. Fragments of good medieval painted glass with figures of saints in the upper lights of the South aisle windows and at South-west end of nave. (West and North windows by Clayton and Bell, 1865.) A fine collection of fittings and memorials in a largely unaltered interior. (SANHS Proceedings vol 44, 1898; G Stanwell, History of a Quantock Family, 1910) photograph in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST1813931847

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Stawell, G, History of a Quantock Family, (1910)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (1898)

National Grid Reference: ST 18139 31846


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1175656 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2015 at 04:40:58.