This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1174803



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Luccombe

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265341

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/58 Stoke Pero Church



Parish church, dedication unknown. C13 tower, 1897 church and tower reroofed and extensively restored, restored again 1955. Three bay nave and chancel without division, north porch, west tower. Random rubble local stone, slate roofs, overhanging eaves, sprockets. Saddleback one and a half stage tower, gable ends set east-west, diagonal buttress to string course, roof extended as catslide over north-west stair turret, small window as bell opening by stair turret, Irregularly placed square opening west end. south front of nave two 2-light mullioned window to chancel, 2-light east window, north front C19 3-light ovolo moulded mullioned windows flanking porch, buttress at junction of nave and chancel, gabled single storey porch with plain pointed arch opening, chamfered pointed arch opening to inner door, restored C16-C17 door with arcane lettering. Interior: rendered. No chancel arch, semi-circular tower arch, unmoulded with ogee moulded impost to archivault. Late C19 open wagon roof with bosses, C19 pews incorporating some Cl7 bench ends at west end. Pulpit of old panelling with moulded cornice. Baluster font. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Chadwick Healey, History of the Part of West Somerset, 1901).

Listing NGR: SS8783543495

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Healey, C, The History of the Part of West Somerset, (1901)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SS 87835 43495


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174803 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 05:04:51.