This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1174300



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Three Rivers

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Watford Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158980

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



10/335 Oxhey Chapel 1.9.53 II*

Proprietary chapel to Oxhey Place (not listed) now redundant. 1612 for Sir J. Altham. Repaired 1852 for T. Estcourt. Restored and narthex added 1897 for T.F. Blackwell by J.E.K. Cutts. Altered and repaired 1963. Knapped flint and 2 inch red brick chequer work. Stone dressings. Tiled roof. 2 bay rectangular cell with narthex to west. Entrance to W in projecting narthex with slightly further projecting entrance bay. Original plank and muntin door with carved head. Moulded Tudor arched surround with square hood mould and panels dated 1897 in spandrels. Stone quoins return to flanking bays with 2 light windows, hollow moulded surrounds and pointed heads to each light all under square hood moulds. Stone quoins to returns. Moulded stone cap to continuous flint plinth. Stone capping to narthex. C20 plaques in narthex front wall. In W end above narthex a 4 light window with octagonal and hexagonal leaded panes, hollow moulded inner surrounds, pointed heads to each light, chamfered outer surround, square hood mould. Rendered course below moulded stone cornice. Stone quoins. C19 brick parapet with C20 stone coped gable. Behind gable a C20 octagonal timber belfry with an ogee headed cupola. N and S sides have two 3 light windows as at W end, separated by a C19 brick buttress to N. E end: central blocked entrance with timber lintel. C17 brick to sill level of 4 light window as at W end. Plaque with dates 1612 and 1963 in E gable. Interior: double rows of 1897 stalls following C17 model arranged in collegiate fashion. Late C17 W doorcase with richly carved Corinthian pilasters and entablature. At E end late C17 reredos, twisted Solomonic columns frame 2 panels with Ten Commandments, outer panels with Lord's Prayer and Credo. Richly carved open pediment to centre with cartouche and pendant drops, urn to gilded flame finial, flanking pediments. Black and white marble paving in sanctuary. Shallow pitched 5 bay roof retains moulded tie beams, purlins and ridge plate. Arched braces with cusped traceried spandrels. C17 font at W end, octagonal base and panelled shaft coved out to circular bowl and domical cover, upper part with rich foliate carving, urn finial. 8 branch candelabrum. C19 communion rails and lectern. Wall tomb to S to Sir J. Altham, d.1616, and his last wife Helen, d.1638. 2 praying figures in aedicular frame of alabaster and marble. 2 arches with carved soffits, Corinthian columns, segmental open pediment surmounted by a shield of arms in a scrolled cartouche, flanking obelisks. Inscribed panel below base. At W end of S wall a brass plate recording building of chapel and a marble tablet to J.A. Bucknall dated 1797 and signed by C. Regnant, over tablet a female mourning figure with an urn in high relief. (Kelly's Directory 1898: VCH 1908: RCHM 1910: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ1136493347

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1898)
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TQ 11364 93347


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174300 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2015 at 01:02:03.