This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

REMAINS OF ROADSIDE CROSS AT NGR ST 0435 4174

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REMAINS OF ROADSIDE CROSS AT NGR ST 0435 4174

List entry Number: 1174166

Location

REMAINS OF ROADSIDE CROSS AT NGR ST 0435 4174, CLAYDOWNS HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Old Cleeve

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Dec-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264829

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST04SW OLD CLEEVE CLAYDON HILL 1/72 Remains of roadside cross at NGR ST 0435 4174 (formerly listed at Monks Path, Old Cleeve)

22.5.69

- II*

Remains of roadside cross. C14. Red sandstone. Square socket with broached corners with remains of shaft eroded to amere mound about 250 mm high and the whole almost completely obscured by vegetation at time of survey (November 1983). This cross stands beside what was once the main roadway between Cleeve Abbey (qv) and Chapel Cleeve (qv) but the cobbled footway refered to in the previous list was not visible at the time of survey. The extent of the so-called Monk's Path is described in Proceedings of the West Somerset Industrial Archaelogical Society, 1983. (Pooley, Old Crosses of Somerset, 1877).

Listing NGR: ST0435141740

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pooley, C, An Historical and Descriptive Account of the Old Stone Crosses of Somerset, (1877)
'Proceedings of the West Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society' in Proceedings of the West Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society, (1983)

National Grid Reference: ST 04351 41740

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174166 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2016 at 12:46:23.

End of official listing