This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OAK HOUSE, THE COURT HOUSE AND THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OAK HOUSE, THE COURT HOUSE AND THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1172811

Location

OAK HOUSE, THE COURT HOUSE AND THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Wyre Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wolverley and Cookley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157148

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVERLEY & COOKLEY CP WOLVERLEY SO 87 NW 6/156 Oak House, The Court House and The Old School House 25.2.58 (formerly listed as Old Seabright School and houses adjoining on north and south) GV II* Former school, now two houses and council chamber. 1829, probably by William Knight, with some late C20 alterations. Sandstone ashlar, brick and painted brick with tile roof. Central block: two storeys with full-height Gothick portico; this has an arcade of three 2-centred heads divided by stepped buttresses with octagonal corner turrets with crenellated caps; parapet between is plain with raised centre bearing a shield over the date 1620 (foundation date). Behind arcade there is a platform at first floor level approached by flights of steps from each side; entrance to ground floor is centrally placed under a wide Tudor arch. Wall behind on first floor has two windows of three cinquefoiled lights flanking a central entrance with 2-centred head under clock. Oak House (to left): of painted brick, two storeys with stone coped parapet and moulded cornice. Three windows: two 3-lights under square heads with square labels flank a central quatrefoil window. Ground floor: central entrance has a flat canopy with cast iron decoration, 3-pane overlight and 6-panelled door. The Old School House (to right); unpainted brick, same design as house to left. (BoE, p 291-292; Colvin, H; A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840, 1978, p 497).

Listing NGR: SO8290579462

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 497
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 291 292

National Grid Reference: SO 82905 79462

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1172811 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2016 at 12:56:56.

End of official listing