This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1167723



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stratfield Saye

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 139116

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 66 SE STRATFIELD SAYE STRATFIELD SAYE PARK 2/14 26.4.57 Church of St Mary the Virgin


1758 possibly designed by John Pitt (Calvin p 639), restor ation 1965. Replacing a medieval church in a new site, the building has a Greek Cross plan, with an octagonal tower above the crossing. There is a copper dome (with a finial) and copper roofing of low pitch to the arms. Walling is in painted brickwork, English bond, with a moulded brick cornice, a pediment effect at the gables, and plinth. The octagon has a stepped cornice. Circular (slatted) openings on the axes, and a band above roof level. The entrance facade (north) has 3 circular lights above 3 arched openings, with springer band. The windows are round-headed, single and central to the side of some arms, but otherwise in pairs, with the outer fitted. They have leaded lights within cross frames, the 'east) (south) being a Venetian design within an outer arch. The north gable has a circular window above a classical doorway, of cornice, frieze, and architrave. Inside, the pulpit came from the old church, the west arm has original box pews (copied elsewhere in the restoration), the font is Victorian of Wren style. There is a gallery in the north and east arms, the latter containing a C18 organ. There are rich monuments to the Pitt family (1636, 1734, 1803), the builders of the church, and wall mouments to Dukes of Wellington. Despite the external raised dome, the ceiling is flat, with plain coving. In the open porch, the floor has medieval tomb slabs, which once contained C15 brasses to the Darbridge court family, which preceded the Pitts (about 1620-1815).

Selected Sources

Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 19 Hampshire,

National Grid Reference: SU 69561 61387


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1167723 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2015 at 10:47:07.