This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1167456



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ely

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1972

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48711

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 5779 THE COLLEGE The Black Hostelry & 2/101 Cellarers. Chamber (formerly listed as part of residences incorporating remains of Infirmary including Chapel).


The Black Hostelry extends to the south at the east end of Infirmary Lane, with the Cellarers Chamber adjoining on the east side (now the Chapter office) The Black Hostelry was built circa 1291-92 to accommodate visiting monks from other Benedictine monasteries. The vaulted undercroft is of the early c13 with ribbed vaults rising from central columns with moulded caps and bases. The lower storey is of carr stone rubble with Barnack (or similar) stone dressings and the upper storey is timber-framed and plastered on the south and east sides and stone on the west side which is unfenestrated. A massive C15 red brick chimney stack with some stone rubble at the base projects on the south side, with 4 offsets and 3 octagonal shafts with moulded caps and bases. The north end has remains of tile C12 Infirmary arcade. The windows generally are 2 and 3 lights with arched heads and squared hood moulds, The interior has mediaeval features including a turn or opening between servery and halls to enable food to be passed without the server being seen, a C15 doorway and a C13-C14 King Post roof with moulded caps and bases. Roof tiled, with 3 C19 gabled dormers on the east side. The cellarers chamber, now tile Chapter Office, adjoins the Black Hostelry on the east side. It was built into the south aisle of the Infirmary in the C15. 2 storeys and attics 2 window range. The ground storey windows have 2 lights with plate tracery and the lst storey windows are mullioned and transomed with treoil arched heads to the lights. A central buttress separates the windows. Roof tiled, with 2 C19 gabled dormers.

The Dark Cloister, Powcher's Hall, the Painted Chamber (Walsingham House), the Chapel of the Infirmary (Deanery), the Black Hostelry & Cellarers Chamber and Cellarers House (Boarding House of King's School) form a group.

See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.

Listing NGR: TL5415680181

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 54156 80181


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1167456 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Oct-2015 at 05:25:09.