This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1167260



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ely

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1972

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48695

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


THE COLLEGE 1. 1082 The Great Hall (Bishopts residence) (formerly listed as part of Guest Hall and subsidiary buildings including Fleadmaster's TL 5479 2/91 House) 23.9.50. GV 2. The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), is part of a block of buildings including the Queenls Hall (Headmaster's House), which adjoins on the south west. (qv). The Great Hall, or Guest Hall was built in the mid Cl3 and was remodelled in the early C14. During the Commonwealth it was subdivided into 3 storeys. It is built above a fine vaulted undercroft with ribbed vaults rising from plain columns without capitals. The hall is of 5 bays and was spanned by an open roof with arched principals and wind braces. (Some still remain). The fine stone corbels to the principals, carved in the shape of crouching figures, survive. It is built of Carr stone rubble with Barnack or similar, stone dressings and has a parapet and stringcourse and stopped end gables. The west gable has a sexfoil window, possibly of Cl 3 origin, reset. The massive central chimney stack of the hall projects on the north side, with 3 offsets and one of the original pointed arched windows survives to the east of the chimney stack. On the east end the south wall of the Monks Kitchen has survived, with a tall semi-circular arch (blocked) and triple shafted piers with scolloped capitals. North of this stands the porch and staircase which led to the Great Hall. the interior, although altered, has C13 and C14 features.

The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), Wall to the garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House (Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery and wall to the Barn and Storehouse form a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls to the Bishop's Palace. and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stable to Bishop's Palace), The Gallery. See also general group description under the Catherdral of The Holy Trinity.

Listing NGR: TL5405480174

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 54054 80174


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1167260 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2015 at 11:17:41.