This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1163042



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Blackburn with Darwen

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 184687

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/16 Church of St. Peter - GV II*

Church, formerly dedicated to the Holy Trinity, 1827-9, by Rickman and Hutchinson. Fine sandstone, slate roof of low pitch, hipped over east end. West tower, nave and sanctuary in one, north and south aisles with porches. Perpendicular style. Three-stage tower has set-back buttresses with scrolled weatherings, short extensions to 1st stage on north and south sides with diagonal buttresses, a diagonal stair turret piercing the buttress on the north west corner, moulded string courses on 2 levels, an arched west doorway under a square hoodmould, above this a flat-headed cinquefoil window recessed with hollowed surround, arched 5-light belfry louvres with Perpendicular tracery and similarly hollowed surrounds, and battlements with 8 flat-topped pinnacles. Very regular 7-bay nave and aisles, both with plain parapets, windows with hoodmoulds: clerestory has flat-headed windows of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights; aisles have buttresses with scrolled weatherings, transomed windows of 2 cinquefoil lights with Perpendicular tracery in the Tudor-arched heads, and in the 2nd bay embattled gabled porches (that on the north side with side entrance). Three-sided apsidal east end has 3 windows like those of the aisles. Vestry at east end of north side. Interior: 7-bay Perpendicular arcade carried on piers with cyma moulding continued in the arches. Slim shafts on the nave side of the columns formerly continued in plaster through the clerestory to corbels of beams of flat ceiling, but all interior plaster now removed; galleries on three sides, ground floor at west end now partitioned (with panelling formerly in church of St. George). Central chancel window by Shrigley and Hunt 1896. War Memorial reredos and tablet 1923.

Listing NGR: SD6943222223

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 69432 22223


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1163042 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 12:54:45.