This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1163015



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Salford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Sep-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212002

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WORSLEY MANCHESTER ROAD SD 70 SW (south side) 1/44 Church of St. Paul (formerly listed 29/7/66 under Peel Lane) G.V. II

Church. 1874-6 with tower added in 1897. By J. M.and H. Taylor. Rock-faced stone with slate roof. Nave, aisles, chancel and west tower. Gothic Revival with Decorated details. 4-bay aisles stop short of the nave at the west and are roofed separately. They have a projecting plinth and a continuous sill band. Each bay has a weathered buttress and two 2-light windows. Gabled porch to north, the sill band of the aisle continuing as a transom through cusped windows on either side. The 2-bay chancel is unexpectedly higher than the nave-and has a bellcote at the junction and a 5-light east window. Imposing 4-stage tower with angled weathered buttresses, west door, 4-light west window, paired 2-light belfry openings and a broach spire set back behind a parapet. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade on short circular columns with moulded and enriched capitals. Hammer- beam roof trusses spring from carved corbels. Wide chancel arch on quatrefoil columns. Pierced stone chancel rail which cleverly incorporates the pulpit and lectern both of which use coloured stone details. Carved reredos. C18 baluster font from former church. Stained glass some by Wrigley and Hunt. Timber fittings. Several C18 and C19 wall plaques. The church incorporates many of the architects' characteristic details to good effect.

Listing NGR: SD7186203895

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 71862 03895


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1163015 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2015 at 08:14:50.