This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1162695

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, KING'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Tameside

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212659

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE KING'S ROAD SD 90 SW (north-west side)

1/11 Church of St. John the 12/1/67 Evangelist (Formerly listed as Church of St John the Evangelist, Hurst)

- II

Church. 1847-9. By Shellard for the Church Commissioners with transepts and tower by G. Shaw in 1862. Rock-faced stone with slate roof. Nave with aisles and transepts. Almost free-standing south-west tower and a chancel with organ chamber and side chapel. Gothic revival. Projecting plinth, continuous sill band and hoodmould. 4-bay aisle and 2-bay transepts with lancet windows, weathered buttresses and porch in bay 2. 4-light geometrical tracery transept windows, 3-lancet east window and 2-lancet west window. 2- bay chancel. Coped gables with cross finials. The clerestory contains no windows. Bold 3-stage tower has diagonal weathered buttresses and a circular corner stair turret. It diminishes in size at each stage, the top stage having stepped broaches before changing to an octagon to accommodate the spire. Interior: west gallery with C20 partition below. Quatrefoil piers support double-chamfered nave arcade. Arch-braced roof trusses. Waggon roof to chancel. Stained glass and timberwork which includes elaborate canopied seats in the chancel and a reredos. O. Whittaker, a local mill owner was the principal benefactor. W. A. Parry, History of Hurst and Neighbourhood.

Listing NGR: SD9470400385

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Parry, W A, History of Hurst and Neighbourhood

National Grid Reference: SD 94704 00385

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1162695 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-May-2016 at 11:08:35.

End of official listing