This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1156507

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, WEST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

District Type: District Authority

Parish: New Alresford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 145135

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 5832 NEW ALRESFORD WEST STREET (South Side) 13/107 Church of St John 5.12.55 the Baptist(formerly listed as Church of St John) GV II*

C13,C14,C17, restoration and virtual rebuilding of 1898 by Sir Arthur Blom- field, C20. Apart from the west Tower, the building is of 1898, in perpen- dicular style, with a nave and aisle of 4 bays, chancel with north and south chapels, and a recent hall attached to the south-east corner; all this (except the latest part) is in flint walling with stone dressings. The Tower has 3 stages, the 2 lower of C14 with flint and stone rubble walling and stone dressings, the upper of C17 being of red brickwork, with a crenel- lated parapet. There are small openings, the lower with ogee heads, a Perpen- dicular door of 1898, above which is inserted a small T-shaped stone with a carved crucifix (re-set here but of Romanesque origin). The west wall of the former south aisle, next to the Tower, has a lancet window. Within there are 4 wall monuments of the C18 & early C19.

Listing NGR: SU5882032674

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 58847 32651

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156507 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2016 at 08:28:29.

End of official listing