This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1155155



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Reading

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 38922

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ERlEIGH ROAD 1. 5128 Main building at Reading School SU 7272 9/477 19.3.75. II 2. 1865-71, designed by Alfred Waterhouse. Gothic style with rigorous symmetry except for octagonal turret with pyramidal roof to right of central hall. 2 storeys and attics. Built of red brick with blue brick decoration. Gabled tiled roof with fishscale bands, vents etc designed to add to interest of skyline as well as chimneys with 3 shafts at joined capping and with tumbled brick. Terracotta window dressings and details. Diaper panel to 1st floor cill. Hall:8 bays with 2 stages of pointed geometric tracery windows and dividing buttresses, corbelled cornice and central vent. Turret projects from north-west corner with arched louvred openings to belfry stage. Entrance in 2 central bays with corbelled arches of 3 orders and with decorative wrought and cast iron gates with wrought iron tympana. Leads through to quadrangle ("Cloister") at rear. East and west wings have central and end gables and further minor gables in reflected symmetry. Roughly 11 bays each with plate glass sash windows 1st floor and plate tracery windows on ground floor. Entrances in 5th bay and in recessed corners to north-west and north-east. Rear elevation equally symmetrical with projecting double gable wings to sides. The "Cloisters" and associated buildings are included in this item. They are probably not by Waterhouse (probably by Charles Smith in the 1880s) in polydrome brick work. The boiler house chimney springs from the south-east corner of a building with apsed south end. The interiors of the main block contain many original fittings. Marble pillar in "cloisters" with foundation stone laid by HRH Prince of Wales 1.vij. 1870. The school has had a long and distinguished history. Re-endowed by Henry VII in 1488. Archbishop Laud was taught as this school.

Listing NGR: SU7275772673

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 72757 72673


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155155 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Oct-2015 at 10:04:36.