This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1155023



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wokingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wargrave

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41363

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WARGRAVE STATION ROAD SU 7877 (north side) 16/5 Church of St. Mary 26.1.67 G.V. II* Parish Church. Originally C13 but was burnt down in 1914 reputedly by suffragettes with the exception of the west tower of 1635, the walls and north doorway. Rebuilt 1916 by W. Fellowes Prynne. Flint walls with stone dressings part rendered on north, brick tower, gabled tiled roof. 5 bay nave, chancel, north transept and organ chamber, south arcade and and aisle with chapel. Tower is 3 stages, brick plinth with stone capping, moulded stone strings, parapet, octagonal corner buttresses of chequer flint and brick with strings carried round and stone ball finials. A west doorway in a brick arched opening, at the south east corner a staircase to the ringing chamber. Windows with intersecting tracery, altered. The north door in the nave is Norman of 2 orders with chevroned shafts, caps, large roll inner moulding and scalloped outer moulding. On the north wall are remains of Norman arcading. The font is C15 made from chalk and restored early C20. Some floor slabs remain. V.C.H. Vol. III p.195. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.257.

Listing NGR: SU7827678469

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 195
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 257

National Grid Reference: SU 78276 78469


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155023 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Oct-2015 at 04:42:18.