This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1149989



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stainburn

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330565

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SE 24 NW STAINBURN CHURCH LANE (east side) 4/96 Church of St Mary



Church of St Mary. C12 and C17; 1894 restoration and addition by C Hodgson Fowler. Gritstone rubble, graduated stone slate roof. 3-bay nave with south porch and bellcote, one-bay chancel with north vestry. Nave: south porch has round arch and dripmould with worn human-head terminals; trefoil recess above; inner door with-plain tympanum. Cross-window to left of porch, narrow lancets to right, flanking a pointed-arched window with crude dripmould with human-head terminals. Bellcote at east end has 2 arches. A 2-light double-chamfered mullioned window in north wall of nave, and a narrow quoined lancet window at west end. Chancel: narrower and lower than nave. Blocked south door, with 3-light double chamfered mullion window under stepped hoodmould to right. Perpendicular-style east window of 3 lights. Shaped kneelers, ashlar coping,gable crosses. Interior: fine Norman font with circular stem and polygonal bowl with interlaced arcading and relief designs. C12 round-headed chancel arch of 2 orders with plain imposts. Pews are C16 and C17. The 1894 restoration included refitting the chancel, reroofing, construction of the vestry and relaying grave slabs. The church is now redundant and is maintained by the Friends of Friendless Churches. For further information see H Speight, Kirkby Overblow and District, London, 1903, p 198.

Listing NGR: SE2474948548

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Speight, H, Kirkby Overblow and District, (1903), 198

National Grid Reference: SE 24746 48547


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149989 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 06:12:50.